4.16.11 — Record Store Day #4: Black Mountain and Sub Pop
I received a couple more Record Store Day-related press releases from Jagjaguwar and Sub Pop. Read below.
Black Mountain Unveil Record Store Day Single, Headline Roadburn Festival Afterburner.
Jagjaguwar are proud to announce that Black Mountain will celebrate Record Store Day on Saturday April 16 by unleashing the third single from their third LP Wilderness Heart on seven inch vinyl.
"Rollercoaster" showcases the band's trademark psych-metal sound, with the interchanging vocals of Stephen McBean and Amber Webber in full force. The song was recorded at Sunset Sound in Hollywood with D. Sardy.
The B-side to this single is entitled "In The Drones" and is previously unreleased. It features Webber's haunting vocals at the forefront, accompanied by reverb-drenched picking and shadowy synth stylings underneath. The song was recorded in Seattle at London Bridge Studio with Randall Dunn.
Vancouver's finest will mark this special release with a tour of continental Europe (dates below), culminating in a headline slot at the closing Afterburner event of Tilburg, Holland's prestigious Roadburn festival.
March 28 Luxembourg, Luxembourg - Den Atelier
March 29 Paris, France - La Fleche d'Or
March 30 Leffinge-Middelkerke, Belgium - De Zwerver
April 1 Athens, Greece - Gagarin 205 Live Music Space
April 2 Thessaloniki, Greece - Principal Theatre Club
April 4 Milan, Italy - Live Club
April 5 Florence, Italy - Viper Theatre
April 6 Treviso, Italy - New Age Club
April 7 Vienna, Austria - Flex Wien
April 8 Prague, Czech Republic - Lucerna Music Bar
April 10 Copenhagen, Denmark - Vega
April 11 Helsinki, Finland - Tavastia Club
April 12 Oslo, Norway - Parkteatret
April 13 Gothenburg, Sweden - Park Lane
April 14 Stockholm, Sweden - The Strand
April 17 Tilburg, Holland - Roadburn Festival (headlining Afterburner)
Via Sub Pop:
RECORD STORE DAY APRIL 16th, 2011
The Head & the Heart Self-Titled Debut out on CD and Vinyl!
10-Track Sub Pop Free Sampler Featuring J Mascis, Dum Dum Girls, Mogwai, Mister Heavenly, Niki and the Dove and more!
Limited Edition Fleet Foxes, Lower Dens and Blitzen Trapper Exclusive RSD Releases!
Low, Obits and the Head & the Heart In-Store Performances
Seattle, WA – We at Sub Pop Records will be celebrating the third annual Record Store Day with a myriad of releases and events across the country. Record Store Day exclusives include limited edition releases from Blitzen Trapper, Fleet Foxes and Lower Dens, a 19-track free Sub Pop sampler, in-store performances from Obits, Low and The Head & the Heart. To top it off, The Head & the Heart will be releasing their self-titled debut on April 16th as part of Record Store Day on both CD and vinyl. To find a participating store, go here.
Record Store Day Exclusive Releases
Fleet Foxes Helplessness Blues b/w Grown Ocean 12” SP920 (limited edition of 3000)
Lower Dens Deer Knives b/w Tangiers 7” SP927 (limited edition of 1000)
Blitzen Trapper Maybe Baby b/w Soul Singer 7” SP929 (limited edition of 1500)
Record Store Day Release Date
The Head and the Heart The Head and the Heart CD/LP SP915
Record Store Day Sampler
Terminal Sales Vol. 4: Please to Enjoy CD SP932
Sub Pop would like to gift you. Housed in an embossed, die cut case, the sampler contains 18 art prints with information about each of the artists and a folded poster.
1. Daniel Martin Moore “Dark Road” From the album In the Cool of the Day (SP860), available Jan. 2011
2. Aurelio “Tio Sam” From the album Laru Beya (NXA002), available on Next Ambiance Jan. 2011
3. The Twilight Singers “On the Corner” From the album Dynamite Steps (SP844), available Feb. 2011
4. Mogwai “Slight Domestic” From the “Mexican Grand Prix” 7” single on Rock Action Records, available Feb. 2011
5. Papercuts “Do What You Will” From the album Fading Parade (SP885), available Feb. 2011
6. Dum Dum Girls “Wrong Feels Right” From the He Gets Me High EP (SP917), available March 2011
7. J Mascis “Not Enough” From the album Several Shades of Why (SP859), available March 2011
8. Obits “You Gotta Lose” From the album Moody, Standard and Poor (SP857) available March 2011
9. Low “Try to Sleep” From the album C’mon (SP905), available April 2011
10. The Head and the Heart “No One to Let You Down” Previously unreleased. The album The Head and the Heart (SP915) is available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
11. Blitzen Trapper “Maybe Baby” From the “Maybe Baby” 7” single (SP929), available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
12. Lower Dens “Deer Knives” From the “Deer Knives” 7” single (SP927), available for Record Store Day, April 16, 2011
13. Fleet Foxes “Helplessness Blues” From the album Helplessness Blues (SP888), available May 2011
14. Chad VanGaalen “Peace on the Rise” From the album Diaper Island (SP871), available May 2011
15. Shabazz Palaces “lost foundling” This Shabazz Palaces track is not from the Black Up (SP900), available May 2011
16. Memoryhouse “Sleep Patterns” From The Years EP (SP925), available at some as-yet-undetermined point in 2011
17. Mister Heavenly “Mister Heavenly” From the as-yet-untitled Mister Heavenly debut album (SP926), available August 2011, probably the fall.
18. Niki and the Dove “The Fox” From “The Fox” 12” single (SP930), available June 2011
19. Blouse "Shadow" From the “Shadow” 7" single (Sp939), available at some as-yet-undetermined point in 2011.
Record Store Day Instores
The Head and the Heart
Sonic Boom (Ballard), Seattle, WA 3pm (acoustic)
Easy Street (Queen Anne), Seattle, WA 7pm (full band)
Electric Fetus, Minneapolis, MN 3pm
Generation Records, New York, NY time TBC.
More About Record Store Day
This is the one day that all of the independently owned record stores come together with artists to celebrate the art of music. Special vinyl and CD releases and various promotional products are made exclusively for the day and hundreds of artists in the United States and in various countries across the globe make special appearances and performances. Festivities include performances, cook-outs, body painting, meet & greets with artists, parades, djs spinning records and on and on. Metallica officially kicked off Record Store Day at Rasputin Music in San Francisco on April 19, 2008 and Record Store Day is now celebrated the third Saturday every April. http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home
Letters From A Tapehead